- University of Virginia (Assistant Professor)
- Corcoran Department of Philosophy
- Starting January 2018
- UC Berkeley (Postdoctoral Scholar)
- Supervisor: Alison Gopnik
- Duration: January 2016 to December 2017
- Funding: SSHRC, the Templeton Foundation, and the Balzan Foundation
- University of Toronto (PhD, 2015)
- Dissertation: The Wandering Mind
- Committee: Diana Raffman (Co-Supervisor), Evan Thompson (Co-Supervisor), Ronnie DeSousa, Jennifer Nagel, and Andrew Sepielli
- Defence date: December 8, 2015
- Z C Irving and E Thompson (forthcoming) “The Philosophy of Mind-Wandering” in K Christoff and K C R Fox Oxford Volume on Spontaneous Thought And Creativity. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Jessica Andrews-Hanna, Zachary C Irving, Kieran Fox, Nathan Spreng, and Kalina Christoff (forthcoming) ``The Neuroscience of Spontaneous Thought: An Evolving, Interdisciplinary Field'' in Kalina Christoff, and Kieran Fox Oxford Volume on Spontaneous Thought And Creativity Oxford: Oxford University Press. Selected Media Coverage: Scientific American Mind (forthcoming) / Weekend Avisen (forthcoming) / Huffington Post / Daily Californian / Berkeley News / Science Daily / Medical Daily / UBC News / Hacker News
- K Christoff, Z C Irving, K C R Fox, R N Spreng, and J R Andrews-Hanna (2016) "Mind-wandering as spontaneous thought: A dynamic framework". Nature Reviews Neuroscience 17: 718–731.
- Z C Irving "Mind-wandering is Unguided Attention: Accounting for the 'Purposeful' Wanderer" (2016) Philosophical Studies 173, 2: 547-571. Media Coverage: Weekend Avisen (forthcoming)
- M Arsenault* and Z C Irving* "Aha! Trick Questions, Independence, and the Epistemology of Disagreement" (2013) Thought: A Journal of Philosophy 1, 3: 185-194.
- Z C Irving “Style, But Substance: On Graphical versus Numerical Representation in Scientific Practice” (2011) Philosophy of Science 78, 5: 774-787.
*Shared first authorship
- Instructor, Issues in Philosophy of Mind: The Philosophy of Memory (Summer 2016, UofT)
- Co-instructor, Cognitive Neuroscience Graduate Seminar: Varieties of Spontaneous Thought (Spring 2015, UBC Psychology Department) with Kalina Christoff
- Co-instructor, Philosophy of Mind Graduate Seminar: Mind-Wandering And Attention (Fall 2014, UBC) with Evan Thompson
- Finalist, University of Toronto TATP Teaching Excellence Award (2014)
- Teaching Assistant (Selected): Introduction to Ethics, Introduction to Logic, Minds and Machines, Probability and Inductive Logic
- Postdoctoral Fellowship at UC Berkeley, SSHRC (2015–2017) - $81,000
- Postdoctoral Award, Templeton Foundation (2015–2017; through Alison Gopnik) - $10,000
- Research Award, Balzan Styles of Reasoning Project (2015–2016) – $14,000
- Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplement, SSHRC (2014) - $6000
- Doctoral Canadian Graduate Scholarship, SSHRC (2011–2014) - $105,000
- Entrance Award, UofT Philosophy Department (2011) - $5000
- Masters Canadian Graduate Scholarship, SSHRC (2009) - $17,500